Friday, March 27, 2009

Be Gentle with Me,, Do not break my back.

I have often times borrow books from someone who does not care anything about books and instead of enjoying the book I find myself straitening out the pages as I read.

As a child growing up in Jamaica with a very large extended family, we share books because the same books were used every school year, therefore when you move to a higher grade you were expected to give the book to a cousin or sister or brother who would be using it next.
Because of this I always takes care of my books.

Now I cannot stand to see any books being abused. When you look at my bookcase, and it is a small overstuffed one, you cannot tell that my books were actually read, but everyone of them were, sometimes two and three times.

You see I am very choosy as to who I lend my book to. If you can care my book as well as I can? I have no problem sharing with you.

One day on the train going home I was crocheting and the young lady next to me was reading, the next instance she bend the corner of her page ( she was finish reading). I cut my thread right there and crochet a bookmark, but them I could not give it to her. But if it happens again, I sure will make it and give it up.

1 comment:

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Threadin' Along,

I feel exactly the same way about books. But not because we had to hand them over to a sibling or cousin.

I love them because they hold such precious treasures, adventures, hope, facts, unforgetable characters, feelings, and limitless fantasies! More than I care to admit, I know now, that I used books to escape the conditions of my childhood.

I know that my deep love and admiration for books is why I can't even attempt the craft of altered books. It hurts me to see pages torn and spines cracked.

I have stopped lending my books. Even those who knew how I felt about books have borrowed them and not taken care of them. To prevent that bad feeling, I don't lend. I don't usually borrow either, because I don't like the responsibility of caring for someone else's treasure.

Share your love of books and reading with your grandchildren. A (wo)man who can read and doesn't is no different than a (wo)man who can't read.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots