Tuesday, February 9, 2010

JC WALKER- 1st Black woman millionaire


As February is Black History month and I have to research one black woman to present at church, I have chosen Madam C.J. Walker.

Here is a woman, born into slavery, orphaned by the age of 7, was forced to married at the age of 14 to escape abuse from her brother-in-law.

She had one daughter. And even making $1.50 per day she was still able to save enough so that her daughter could get an education.

In the 1890s, she developed a scalp ailment and experimented with many store bought and homemade remedies. In 1905 she founded her own company selling scalp conditioning and healing formula. She went door-to-door selling and demonstrating her scalp treatment.

She never let her poor beginning stand in her way.
She contributed to the "colored" YMCA and to the NAACP Anti-Lynching legislation, she encouraged women into political activism.

This is a Quote from the National Negro Business League Convention, July 1912.
"I am a woman who came from the cotton field of the south. From there I was promoted to the washtub. From there I was promoted to the cook kitchen. And from there I promoted myself into the business of manufacturing hair goods and preparations.......I have built my own factory on my own ground"

1 comment:

Jennifer C. said...

Mother, here name is Madame CJ Walker. You ave your title wrong.