Monday, January 10, 2011

It's Me..........

How many times have you answer the phone are listen to v-mail and Hello mother/father etc and hear a too familiar voice say, 'it's me" without leaving their name. Or you calling someone and say 'it's me" without giving your name. I think we are all guilty of this at one time or the other.
This weekend I got just such a voice mail from one of my daughters, "Hi mother, it's me" then proceed to leave her message without leaving her name assuming that I know her voice.

If we assume that the person we are calling recognizes our voice and will know who we are, why then do we say "it's me" and not leave our name.

I sometimes say, it's your mother or to my mother I say " it's your first born child". There is no doubt as to who I am, she can only have one first born or my child can have only one mother.

If we need to affirm who we are why not say, hello, it's Mary or Bob.

Almost everyone in my life have their own distinct voices (except for my son and grandson), I will never mistook their voice for someone else. So just to let you all know I got you at "Hello"

1 comment:

Jennifer C. said...

Now I have to remember never to say it's me.